Fire or Fear

17:03

Image made by Mutsa Munyaradzi

I was scrolling through the list of song titles on my iPod in search of a name for my blog when I came across Fire/Fear by The Head and the Heart. At the time I chose it because it’s catchy and convenient but at the stage I’m at in my life, I can’t think of a more fitting title for my blog. To me, Fire or Fear, means the difference between choosing do to the things I am passionate about regardless of the fact that I may fail, and being too afraid to do the things that I am passionate about because I might fail. “Fire” means that I don’t put my dreams on the backburner so that I can pursue a safe path in life that will likely be filled with a lot of compromise and a lot of regret at a later stage in my life.

This is something that I’ve been talking about a lot lately with the people around me – pretty understandable since I’m coming to the end of my final year at university and applying for jobs and trying to figure out the general direction my life. I keep repeating that I don’t want to start making compromises now because I’m terrified that that will become the theme of the rest life; choosing the easier path instead of the path that’s riskier but probably where my dreams are located. And I’ve also realised that it’s not enough for me to do work for the money.

Of course, nothing that I’ve written up to this point is remotely new or extraordinary, seeing as just about every third person pretty much shares the same ideas (I assume, I haven’t asked). The thing is, I haven’t created this blog for everyone else, I’ve created it for me. I’ve created it to challenge myself, to force myself to put myself out there irrespective of what people might think of me. And I created it to hold myself accountable for whether I chose fire or I chose fear during the course of my life.
So, I invite you to join me of this journey, my journey, as I regularly update this blog with my passions, interests, curiosities, discoveries and adventures. And I sincerely hope that there will be plenty of adventures for me to share with you and that you will enjoy what I have to share.

Here’s to choosing fire over fear.


M.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

Popular Posts